Friday, October 28, 2011

Thoughts.

I can understand how kids want to be part of the popular crowd and all that. But how did Josie get from looking down on the popular girls who were fake to wanting to be friends with them? Was it because of the time that she and Courtney were partners for a school project? What about when the popular crowd spoke to Peter and Josie about what happened in class with the girl who came on her period? Maybe it gave her a taste of what being in the "in crowd" was like. I figure that when everyone was throwing tampons at that girl, Josie was just too afraid to go along with Peter and not do it. If she did, then it'll be the first time that the bullying would focus on her, whereas the focus was on Peter while she was generally ignored. Perhaps after that, the "cool kids" gradually started to talk to her and before she knew it she was part of that crowd.

I think overall I couldn't really sympathize with Josie. I understand how hard it must be to wear a mask 24/7 along with bearing the guilt of betraying a friend. I know that she must have been suffering, but.....I don't know, I can't explain it. It seemed like JP was trying to convey Josie's suffering, but it just fell kind of flat to me. For example, Josie's earlier belief that her mother didn't care for her. Personally, I never understood what led her to that conclusion. But then again, it's been a while since I read the book. Also I would have liked more reflection on her part about her betrayal and more remorse, especially near and at the end of the story.

Speaking of the ending, I thought that it could've been more fleshed out. It seemed too abrupt to me. Maybe I'm asking too much, but I would have liked to see some responses to Peter's death, especially from his parents and Josie. Maybe even a funeral; like a final chapter to the whole tradegy. It could've been a chance to see the community's reaction to what Peter had been through.

No comments:

Post a Comment