Friday, October 14, 2011

a new favorite.

Before reading Nineteen Minutes, I had read four books by Jodi Picoult, my favorite being My Sister's Keeper. Now, I have a new favorite. As in most of her books, Picoult takes a contreversial issue and shows you all side of the equation. But this time, Picoult takes an issue that isn't thought of as one of the most conterversial issues in our society, and makes you think about the situation in a whole new light.
 
This book looks into what being in the ‘popular group’ can mean for some people, and what it can mean for those that don’t fit in. It also made me almost understand what made the shooter, a teenage boy, do what he did, because it explains his past. This shows the worst thing that can happen as a result of bullying over many years.

I like the way that the book was set out... Starting out with the shooting, it switches between past and present, starting with when the parents of the two main characters, Josie and Peter met, and ending with the first anniversary of the shooting. This meant that the background to the event, as well as the consequences of it were shown throughout the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment